One of the most popular languages used in python web development and data scientists is Python. The language is so widely accepted because of its ease of use and wide range of helpful libraries. Python is very well known for its new proof-of-concepts and short-term development where an enterprise audience is not immediately expected and one bonus is that most of its libraries are open source and free which is an extremely beneficial and valuable element.
What is Web Framework?
So basically a web framework is an architecture which includes tools, libraries and functions which helps you build a quick and efficient building and manage large web projects as well. These frameworks help you simplify programming and encourage code reuse. A server-side language is required to develop the server-side of the web application. Most of the web frameworks are written in Python, which includes Flask and Django.
The Python Flask Framework is a small micro-framework which is built on Werkzeug and Jinja2. This micro-framework is dubbed because its fundamental functionality is kept short while it is usually extendable which will support a wide range of small and large applications. The Flask framework is relevant to the two third party libraries. Werkzeug WSGI toolkit, Jinja2 template. Despite the fact that we have a wealth of web apps at our disposal, Flask is better suited because of the following points:
- A built-in development server and a quick debugger are included.
- Support for unit testing that is integrated.
- Request dispatching through RESTful API.
- Templating in Jinja2.
- Secure cookies are supported.
- A flexible framework is made possible by the lightweight and modular design.
What is Flask?
There are many python web development frameworks which are available and one of the most popular choices among those is Flask. Before getting to know about the new Flask 2.0 updates, let’s get to know more about Flask. Flask is a microframework as it does not require any special libraries or tools. This framework does not include a database abstraction layer, form validation, or other components that rely on third-party libraries to do fundamental functions.
The three main template engines for the foundation of Flask are WSGI, Werkzeug and Jinja2.
- WSGI: For Python web application developers, the Web Server Gateway Interface (WSGI) has been in standard practice. The Web Server Gateway Interface (WSGI) is a specification for a common interface for online servers and web applications.
- Werkzeug: Werkzeug is a WSGI toolkit for making requests, response objects, and utility functions. This enables the creation of a web frame on top of it. Werkzeug is a key component of the Flask framework.
- Jinja2: jinja2 is a popular Python template engine. To create a dynamic web page, a web template system integrates a template with a specified data source.
The following are some of Flask’s key benefits:
- Setup and use are simple.
- The ability to design the web application’s structure.
The new version, Flask 2.0 has recently been released and there are several exciting benefits which it has brought along for the Python Programmer. Let’s have a look at the updates of flask 2.0
New Updates in Flask 2.0
- The new update of Flask 2.0 is compatible with all the Flask 1.x releases
- Python versions 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, and 3.9 have been thoroughly tested.
- All dependencies have been updated to the most recent official versions.
- The latest version of the code has been uploaded to the GitHub repository.
- FLASK_DEBUG has been replaced by FLASK_ENV, a more current environment variable.
- The significance of the .flaskenv file is presented more explicitly.
- SendGrid is a good alternative email provider that has a good free email sending quota.
- Changes in the pyjwt package that were backwards incompatible were fixed.
- For language detection, it has switched to the langdetect package.
- Issues with Heroku’s Postgres database and SQLAlchemy 1.4 have been resolved.
- Recent pymysql releases had issues that required the cryptography package to be installed as well.
- Config.from file is a new function that allows you to load configuration from any file type.
- When an app could not be loaded, CLI errors were improved. Errors are displayed instantly when the development server is run; they are only postponed on reloads.
- The flask shell command, like the conventional python shell, supports tab completion.
- Browsers will cache static files based on file content rather than a 12-hour time frame when providing them. This means that changes to static content, such as CSS styles, will be reflected on reloading without the need to clear the cache.
- Blueprints can be nested under each other, providing for a more layered approach to application organisation.
This was all about the new Flask 2.0 update. There are still a few things which are yet to be added in the latest update. So there’s a possibility of a newer version of Flask. Till then enjoy the current additions.
If you are looking for a python web development specialist, nestack is your go to platform. To hire python developers, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do the needful.